English as a Second Language (ESL)
The mission of the English Language Learner (ELL) program is to produce language learners who are socially and academically prepared to be successful in the Howard-Winneshiek CSD and a global society.
For more information about the program -- including ELL student identification, programming, and exit criteria -- please refer to the Howard-Winneshiek CSD K-12 Lau Plan for Serving English Language Learners.
Language Instruction Educational Program Goals
The linguistic, academic, and social goals of the program are to:
- Support the acquisition of Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) and the development of CALP (Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency).
- Help students become proficient in the four language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Assist successful participation in classroom learning situations and other school activities while maintaining a positive attitude toward self, school, and community.
- Promote understanding, respect, and appreciation for the cultural and linguistic diversity of our student population.
- Collaborate with the school community to increase the sensitivity of staff to the unique educational needs of ELL students and their families.
- Facilitate opportunities for parents of ELL students to develop home-school partnerships and participate in school activities.