The Crestwood Elementary and Junior High building is located north of the Crestwood High School. This is a well-maintained facility that was built in 1993. The expansive property includes a large playground area with trees and a perennial garden. Crestwood Elementary serves students in grades K-5. We have 380 students for the 2011-2012 school year. There are 3 sections of each grade level, except first grade, which has 4 sections. The average class size is 20 students. The professional staff includes 27 classroom teachers, 9 special subject area teachers, 2 guidance counselors, 3 school nurses and 9 paraeducators.
Preschool classes are held in the Cresco Early Childhood Center east of the elementary school. Our district received the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program Grant in 2009. Tuition and transportation costs are supported by allocations from this continuing program. We have 4 sections of preschool serving 78 students. The staff includes 4 teachers, 3 special area teachers, and 9 paraeducators. There is integrated Early Childhood Special Education within the classrooms. There are two options for preschool attendance. Families may choose 4 full days or 4 half-days in the A.M. Both are held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. The federal Head Start Program and Kessel Kids Child Care and after-school program are also located in the Early Childhood Center.
Crestwood Elementary School has a decisive School Improvement Plan based on parent involvement, curriculum, and professional development. We have a dedicated Building Leadership Team made up of teachers and administrators. This team guides the PK-8 staff with particular focus on three goals for the 2011-2012 school year: 1.) To promote a positive and supportive school climate 2.) To enhance learning through technology and 21st Century skills. 3.) To increase student achievement in reading comprehension. These goals are supported in various ways:
· Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports Program (PBIS) and Character Counts
· Discovery Center with iPads, iPods, laptops, TV, digital cameras and digital video equipment
· Software programs such as Rosetta Stone, Scholastic Read About and ALEKS
· Interactive Smart Boards in every classroom
· Implementation of Jolly Phonics, The Daily Five and LEAD 21 literacy programs
· Implementation of the Level Literacy Interventions Program in Title I and Special Education classrooms
· Implementation of a Reading Recovery Program
· Staff collaboration through work in Professional Learning Communities
I welcome you to Crestwood Elementary and Cresco Preschool. The school hours are 8:30 A.M.-3:26 P.M. For information regarding any of our programs, please call the elementary office (563.547.2340) or the superintendent's office (563.547.2762)